Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How do I get help?
Send an email with your issue to email@example.com Your problem will be assigned a number and you'll receive an email including said number. The system creates a "string" so always reply to an email from the help desk or include the number in subsequent messages. There is a team of people that will answer your question. You will receive an email message for clarification and/or when your issue is solved.
How do I take a course from my current Moodle instance and move it to Oregon Virtual School District?
- Log into your Moodle instance and click on the course you'd like to move.
- Make a zip backup on your server by going to the "backup" command in your Administration block at the left of your screen.
- Download the zip by right-clicking or command-clicking (on a Mac) on the course and saving it somewhere on your computer.
- Create a blank course in your instance on the ORVSD server.
- Again, go to the Administration block, but this time click "Restore".
- Upload the zip file to the files area. This course will appear in the menu for some time in any course.
- Click on the "Restore" link next to the newly-uploaded file. The command may take some time, but they usually import beautifully.
How do I delete courses from my ORVSD Moodle site?
Users are strongly encouraged to never delete users or content, but rather disable/unpublish instead. That's reversible, deleting is not. Invariably people delete something they want and come calling looking for a backup. Our server backups are not appropriate for selective restore of deleted content.
Deleting courses is an admin-only function (since the permission to delete courses allows you delete any course, not just your own). With that said, we can set you up as an administrator for your Moodle instance. Please send a message with this request to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please note that as an admin, you can do anything on the site ... including break things. :-) So please be careful and don't hesitate to ask us if you're even slightly unsure about anything. We're here to help.
Are there copies of my classes somewhere?
The folks at ORVSD do disaster recovery backups to protect the system from catastrophic failures. We do not do backups to save users from their own mistakes.
For Moodle users, regular zip backups are recommended. Download them to your desktop. For Drupal users, turn on the "make new revision" feature on all content types so you can revert changes.